
The school year is ending. Many children are looking forward to the day that school lets out. Over the summer they will be enjoying them selves. What about their education? Did you know that approximately 80% of the things you learn in a day will be forgotten? What about over the summer? Many kids will push away books, tempted by video games and other electronics. How can we keep our children's education up during the summer? Books need to be read before the information inside is gained. Throughout the summer, try to read with your kids, or find out if there are any book clubs in your neighbourhood to help your kids retain the knowledge that they have gained from books. Encourage them to find books that they enjoy to read. (Off topic a little. A few months ago, my dad actually got me to read Brave New World. That book went right over my head!) If you find books that your children are interested in, then they will be encouraged to read more. (Of course, if they like reading phone books, encyclopedias, or dictionaries, don't look towards me for help!) If we can try to steer my generation towards reading during the summer, we might be compelled to read throughout the school year! Just think of how happy the parents will be when they find their little ones walking through the door carrying Mutinity On The Bounty! (Yes, I was being a little over dramatic.) Trust me. You won't regret it!


2 comments:
I totally agree! I joined the book club at my library, where the more you read, the more points you get, and the points go towards cool prizes like gift certificates to Borders and stuff. Personally I don't need that kind of convincing, but I think it's a great idea to get more kids to read!
-Derek
Definately! The more people want children to read, the more they will do it on your own. I hope they keep it up!
Post a Comment